Thursday, October 23, 2008

A New Favorite Movie


Cyndi and I have this blockbuster subscription.. you know, the one where you can order movies online, 3 at a time and as you mail each one back, the next one on your selection list gets mailed out?

Well, it wasn’t long before every movie we've wanted to see in the top 300 movies was in our rear-view mirror.  To combat the recurring "empty queue", I’ve gotten into the habit of grabbing my laptop during the DVD previews of the movies we rent and adding interesting looking ones to my online queue.

I’ve picked some real losers.

Last night, my wife announced we should watch a movie. She went to the basket of incoming movies and pulled out “After The Wedding”.  She said, “what’s this about?”.    I really couldn’t remember. She rolled her eyes, but put it in the player, expecting yet another "Tim-blockbuster".

Well, we sat down and the movie began, with Sigor Ros as a sound-track. If you haven’t experienced Sigor Ros, then you won’t know what I’m talking about, but their stuff is wonderful. (I immediately googled to confirm it was them) Cyndi “loves it” when I google during a movie (not), and I could feel the wave of disapproval wafting from the far side of the couch. So I sat the laptop down and scooted over to enjoy the movie.   She actually said, "wow".  Ouch!

What a movie it was! Easily my favorite in the last 3 years. An emotional epic.  Surprizing character reveals and emotion twists, and amazing new cinematography.  Really fresh!

When it was done, Cyndi said, “Isn’t that, like, the best movie?!?”

I replied. “Well, I know how to pick ‘em!"

I almost fell over when the couch-pillow hit me in the head.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

try these

Primer
I'm not There
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Bella

nick

Tim Wheeler said...

I've seen Bella and I'm not there. I'm not there was a bit hard to follow... probably my state of mind at the time...

I'll check out Primer and I'm always open to a Motown exposition!

Thanks, Nick.

Tim