Sunday, October 12, 2008

Back In The Saddle

I had a great Sunday this week. I got a phone call on Saturday asking me to fill in and sing a song at one of Kensington’s campuses on Sunday morning. (A little Brad Paisley really can make you smile) It was a little hectic, but a lot of fun, and a nice pressure-task. You can count on these types of challenges to get the adrenalin flowing.

I have this cowboy hat that I bought in Nashville. Cyndi really does not like me wearing it... LOL. Well I got a call Saturday, asking if I’d wear one. Cyndi, literally, thought I was making it up when I told her they asked me to wear one..

Even more significant, this weekend, was working with Joel on a recording of one of my more recent songs. Joel’s a master on the board and a great guitar player. He played and sang on the tune, and Sunday afternoon he lent his talent to mixing it. I’m entering into a workshop contest this upcoming weekend. (I’ll post it online after the workshop)

What made this significant for me is the fact that it seems to mark the end of a period in my life. This is by far the busiest and most stressful year I remember in a long time. I’ve mentioned this before, perhaps...

A lot happened this year. 1 graduated this spring from college, my oldest got married. My youngest graduated high school, and my wife celebrated a “significant number” birthday, followed by our 25th wedding anniversary. What followed was our son (youngest) moving out and into his dormitory at Michigan State University. (Go Spartans!)

What followed was a new courtship period for my wife and I. Really wonderful, actually, but very demanding on a guy who’s frankly, pretty self-absorbed. I’m such an idiot about not seeing the obvious and being surprised by the inevitable.

Well, in the midst of this hurricane, not much writing or art has been happening. The art that had been going on was, well... not so much art. <grin>

Working with Joel was a treat, and what we’ve come up with made me realize that I can finally start producing songs that I can be proud of.

It was a great place to find myself in.

Thanks to those of you who have been a source of encouragement for me. I’m really appreciative of your kind words and your patience.

Heading to St. Charles this weekend to Write About Jesus. Kudos to Sue Smith and all of her faculty for heading this up.

No comments: