Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hiding in the Shadows


I was walking downstairs early one Saturday morning... (that’s when I tend to write most prolifically, while everyone else in the house is asleep).. and I looked outside. It was still dark, and there was full moon. The yard was this deep blue-gray and the sidewalk, almost blue. Under the eaves of my porch the shadow of the moon created this dark area against the wall of my house. It was really the only dark area outside, as the moon was so bright.. Even at night there was no hiding from the moon, except in the shadows.

I got to thinking of the times I hide. Not from the moon, but from my potential.. my abilities... my duty. The times I fear failure.. or success.. when I disengage the drive of my life and coast.. take a break. Not because I’m tired, but because I’m afraid.

I looked at that shadow. It was the perfect place to hide. It was as if I was found out.

Now, it seems like no one else gets seriously hurt when you hide in the shadows. How could they? You don’t do anything.. either good or bad. You just exist. The time seems to drag, yet it flies... and when its all said and done and I finally step back into the light, there’s nothing to show for those times. No failures. No mistakes.. No success. No impact. No one gets impacted... is this really harmless to them or myself?

I wrote this when I got to the bottom of the stairs:

Moonglow Shadow

Blessings,

Tim

No comments: