Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Can You Name That Song?


I was online and someone was playing guess that lyric. You know, someone puts up a partial lyric and everyone tries to guess it.

When it was my turn, I put up this one:

There he sits with a pen and a yellow pad
What a handsome lad
That's my boy
BRLFQ spells mom and dad
But that ain't too bad
That's my boy
You can have your TV and you nightclubs
And you can have your drive in picture show
I'll stay here with my little man near
We'll listen to the radio
Biding my time and
Watching Scotty grow

Anyone remember that? Mac Davis wrote it, Bobby Goldburo sang it.

I was 10 years old and home from school for some reason. It was raining.. a cool Michigan fall rain. I had heard the song before, but this particular day, I did something for the first time. My grandparents lived down the road from us, and each afternoon, they would walk down and sit a spell. (This day I suppose they drove down because of the rain.)

Anyways, my grandfather was in the living room and we were playing chess. He preferred checkers, but played chess to humor me. I snuck into the kitchen and did something for the first time. I called a radio station and requested a song to be dedicated to my Grandfather.. Watching Scotty Grow. I remember waiting around for an hour before they played it... and I don’t remember my grandfathers’ reaction. At 10 years old, I guess I was more concerned with mine.

Not long after that, it was my first single purchase.. (wish I still had it.) It was the first lyric I learned.. or remembered learning. It was a song that moved me. It spoke to me. It was my musical awakening. At 9 years old, Mac Davis had awakened my emotions.

I had forgotten it.. and it all came back with a lyric challenge. So much I had forgotten. I could still quote a good portion of the lyric.

Anyways, a shout out to Mac Davis! Bobby too..

I’m sure you have a song that awakened your emotions. It might be hard to remember, but think about it. What was the song? Where were you when you heard it? What were your doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mac Davis