Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Nothing Special

Has anyone noticed that the most profound truths about the Christian life are riddled with pardox?

We die to ourselves in order that we may live.

If we give in order that we may receive, we are sorely disappointed, and yet when we give without motive, we are blessed.

We have the power right up until the moment that we think WE have the power... we are only strong when we humble ourselves in weakness to be indwelled and used.

I think there is another paradox that Christians often forget, or at least I do. I think that God can do whatever he needs to do without my talents. While, of course, that is true, the consequences of such a mindset are obvious. I think we confuse what we do know to be true with what we assume to be true.

For instance, he may know that I will be too introverted with my talent to make a difference. The resulting action is for me to mistakenly conclude that I will be used whether I act or not, a fatalistic approach that supercedes my motivations to make a difference.

It’s as if a part of me says, who do I think I am to act as if I am special or uniquely gifted to step up to a task that needs doing. If God wants something he will do it, with or without me. I will wait to "hear his voice". Act when I'm 'told' to act.

After all, I'm supposed to be humble, right? Bottom line, though, is that I am more concerned about what others think of my motives than what my motives actually are. Trace it back and the real cause is fear.

Now admittedly people do things "for God" when they're really doing them for themselves. That is, they want to earn favor with God, or possibly with other human beings. I do this... often. While this is a theologically incorrect motive, it occurs all the time as a part of each person's journey in spiritual maturity. But God is soveriegn. He knows what He's doing. God uses these people (and me) and the works that they produce in the process, even if their motive is not lilly white.

So, what does this have to do with me? With us as the church? We need not be fearful, and since we can rarely discern a person's motive, for sure, we should not jump to be a detractor or critic on the sidelines. We should always seek to encourage a person on their spiritual journey.

Certainly, I am not deserving of special favor, and yet I am crucial to God's plan. We're nothing special individually, yet we are all special, indeed invaluable as the body. We're put down here to change the world. Although we have nothing that God didn't give us, we have a job to do, and we must trust that if we faithfully seek his face he will redirect our paths to do his work in this world.

        I’m not trying to put myself down
        I believe God has a reason for keeping me around
        I was put down here to change the world
        But I hope that you can see
        That ain’t nothing special about me

Full Version of Nothing Special

Blessings,

Tim

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"The resulting action is for me to mistakenly conclude that I will be used whether I act or not, a fatalistic approach that supercedes my motivations to make a difference."

Or is THAT a paradox? We think He won't, but yet He DOES use us- even in our *inaction*. Maybe if we *know* He will use us regardless of whether we act or not- that knowledge (in and of itself) can motivate us?

I'll have a Double Tall Mocha Paradox with 2% at 140 degrees, please....