Friday, August 10, 2007

Truly Missed


I met Jimmy Lee Smith 2 years ago at a Songramp gathering three years ago in Nashville. Well, I met him in person that is. Long before that he was an online encourager of many writer’s music, as well as a gifted lyricist himself.

His love for Jesus Christ and for his wife of 60 years hung on every word of his lyrical love songs. I had no idea he was sick last week when I sat down to write. I had thought of a hook while flying to Nashville, and actually tried to write the hook in a couple of cowrite sessions. (I ended up writing other ideas)

When I finally got the inspiration to use the hook (Between the Light and Her Shadow) I drew on my own relationship with Cyndi, and reflected on the nurtured love of those I’ve known and loved. Jimmy Lee was one of those influences. His love for Martha Sue was entrancing, and seemed to float him through life. His graceful and kind spirit preceded and followed him out of every conversation.

Last year, Jimmy Lee lost the love of his life, and all of us who knew him grieved. Some of the group on Songramp knew her personally. I didn’t, but I really felt like I did. When I saw him again this spring, everytime she came up in the conversation you could feel his love for her.

Jimmy passed away two nights ago and he leaves behind a large group of friends and cowriters who will truly miss him. I cannot perform this song without thinking of his fervent love for Martha Sue. Hope you enjoy it.

In Between

Tim

No comments: