Monday, August 10, 2009

Look out NAB members. There is something called the Public Trust.

A reader sent me the link, below. MusicFIRST is asking for some accountability for alleged inappropriate actions by some broadcasters.

Earlier this year, the NAB spent a lot of resources trying to create a public swell against the performance act by renaming the royalties (that were to be paid to artists) as TAXES. I recall seeing articles saying that the public was overwhelmingly against a peformance Tax on broadcasters. Heck, when I heard about it, I was against it too. No new taxes, right. Then I heard they were black-balling U2 for supporting the bill. That is, some stations were purposely not playing their new single as a sorta gotcha for promoting the Performance act.

Thats when I stopped drinking the cool-aide that was being spoon fed to me by the radio stations. A little more research, and I was pretty angry. Not just because of their opposition to the Performance Act, but that they had deliberately retitled it in such a way as to deceptively create a public swell against it. I was even more miffed that they had initially duped me, too.

Give this link a look-see and then come back and comment. What do you think? Do broadcasters have a responsibility to recuse themselves from promoting their own interests at the expense of artists? Do they have the right to distort the issues in order to bolster their bottom-line?

MusicFIRST asks FCC to Rule on Broadcasters using Airtime to Lobby Listeners

Another interesting link on the hearings:

Senators Hear Plea For Radio Performance Royalties

No comments: