Friday, July 18, 2008

The Future Of The CD?

What's the future of the CD?

CD sales are falling through the floor. People are still buying CDs at shows, but I think we only have a few years before they start bringing USB drives on their keychains or some other cool technology like a music-library-aura that floats around peoples heads. Besides, CD quality (16bit, 44.1KHz) was standardized 30 years ago.. it sucks so. I keep thinking they're going to come up with a custom itunes client that artists can set up and people can access through local wifi and add tunes to their ipod touch or iphone at concerts. (Don't you hate it when you come up with good ideas from which to make money, that you have no potential -or inclination to pursue.)

I went to an estate sale the other day and the woman who died left behind 4 crates of records (Perry Como, Big Band, Ray Conniff, etc. ) It occurred to me my estate sale will have no such content. (Even most of my CDs cases are empty. Where did all the disks go? )

Maybe I need to keep a backup DVD and my password in a safety deposit box. That way my kids can sell my music library rights when I die.

No comments: