Saturday, March 15, 2008

Report From The Heartland Concert!

I'm sitting in the Heartland concert, right now! Interesting band.
I'll write later.

It's later:  Cyndi said I was irritating her by writing my blog while the concert was going on... I guess she's right.

Jason Albert is the lead singer in Heartland and he's got a great voice.   He did a cover of Conway's "Make Believe" that was pretty impressive.  He looks a lot like Larry the cable guy, however.  His bio says he plays the guitar, but he didn't get near one the whole night.  The drummer, Todd Anderson, was flashy and pretty proficient.  The bass player sang the high backup vocal.   I'd have to say the most talented member was  Charles Crawford on guitar, fiddle and vocals.  The band's set was very diverse and did quite a few cover tunes during the hour and 15 minute show, which would indicate they'd been largely a cover band over their lifetime.    It was an entertaining show, though.    I enjoyed myself.

Heartland is a tribute to long-suffering.   They're a band from Huntsville Alabama, and have been playing together for 14 years.  They were catapulted to stardom by the song "I Loved Her First", written by Walt Aldridge.     (My daughter's getting married this spring and we may dance to that tune... we'll see.)

The tour was low budget with a lower case 'b'.   Lighting was non-existant.. I felt like we were in a cheap bar.   The lead singer's mic went out mid song / concert.   They were dependant on the local theatre's spot light operators.. is there such a thing as a lo-tech crew..   point it at the guy who walked over into the dark corner.  Yet for the low budget, the tickets started at $40 for the nose bleeds..  

Unfortunately, for Heartland,  the 1200 seat auditorium was less than 1/2 full.    It would have been a much better show experience if it had been packed to the gills.   I'm sure their promoters figured they should soak the fans while the getting's good...

Too bad a number one hit isn't what it used to be.   


No comments: