Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cowrite Session with William Blake


I've had the chance to write with some great lyricists in the past, but this weekend was especially unique. I was able to write with someone 200 years my senior. At first I was, like, "What could this old fart have to say?" (a sentiment, no doubt, similar to what most people think when they first hear my stuff..) But he had a really good idea, so I decided to give him a go.

He was pretty firm about his lyric. Really firm... Wouldn't budge. Turns out a lot of people like his stuff, so there seemed to be zero motivation for him to change it based on my pithy observations. (For instance, I asked him, "Don't you think some of the verbage is a bit old fashioned?", and he replied "Go pound sand, Timmy. Take it or leave it.")

I have to tell you, though, the lyric was short, concise, and convicting from the first time I read it, so I decided to do the good Elton John - Bernie Taupin thing, intent on not changing a thing... staying true to Bill's original message.

And a great message it was to me. It clapped like thunder and shuddered through to my foundation, causing me to pull out some old seasoned 2x4s, a hammer, and nails to shore up a few timbers. (although, I must admit I still have a few cracks to repair.)

All said and done, though, I went into the studio on Sunday and recorded THE GARDEN OF LOVE. Bill even insisted that the title remain un-altered. I repeated the first verse without his approval, though. I haven't heard any complaints from him... yet.

Enjoy.

Tim

Click here to hear it on my myspace page.

No comments: